Dr. B L Kapur, an eminent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, set up a Charitable Hospital in 1930 at Lahore. In 1947, he moved to post-partition India and set up a Maternity Hospital in Ludhiana. In 1956, on the invitation of the then Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, Dr. B L Kapur initiated the project for setting up a 200 bed hospital in Delhi. The hospital was inaugurated by the Prime Minister on 2nd January, 1959. In 1984, when the hospital celebrated its Silver Jubilee, it was a upcoming hospital well on its way in becoming Delhi’s premier multispecialty institute. The services offered includes General Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry, Pulmonology, Intensive Care and Orthopedics, apart from mother & child care. A factor of much importance to the hospital was the health of the community. Enthusiastic doctors held camps and public health talks to improve the status of community health in the area.